Hello hello! It's #fitnessfriday and in case you are wanting to add a new core move to your fitness regime to start off your weekend, why not try the side plank with a low-cable row?
This exercise is an upgrade to a standard side plank, adding more coordination, movement, and weights to challenge your core balance.
Image from: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/side-plank-with-row
1. Attach a handle to a low pulley on your cable machine. Pick a medium-light weight for your strength level.
2. Lay on your left side, facing the cable machine. Be sure that your right arm can be fully extended when reaching for the handle for the appropriate distance from the machine.
3. Grab the handle with your right hand and engage your core to lift your body into the side plank position, with your left forearm on the ground and your left elbow directly below your left shoulder. You want your ankles, hips and head to be in perfect alignment, and, again, your right arm fully extended in front of you towards to machine. Perfect alignment is KEY in this exercise!
4. With a full exhalation and complete engagement of your abs, pull the handle with your right arm so that handle comes even to your right rib cage. Pause for 1 to 2 seconds.
5.Slowly and with control, extend your right arm back forward to the starting position. This is equal to one repetition.
6. Do 15 repetitions with your right arm, then switch to laying on your right side and do 15 pulls with your left arm.
7. Try to do 3 sets of 15 pulls on each side.
I know your core is going to love the burn you get from this exercise, so give it a try and let me know what YOU are going to do on this #fitnessfriday!