Sunday, October 27, 2013

Healthy Snack of the Day: Spicy Sweet Potato Fries

Last night was awesome! Did you watch Game 3 of the World Series??!?!?! Have you ever seen a game end with an obstruction call!?!?!??! Go Cards!!!

The game lasted til about midnight and it was a nail-biter, never knowing who was going to win. I needed some food to keep energized, but late-night snacking can be difficult, and after a long day (well, long week in general) I wanted a treat. I couldn't leave the house to run to store, and with the grocery trip put off til Monday, I had to make do with what was in the house. It had to be simple.

Luckily I had three sweet potatoes that needed to be used.....Sweet Potato Fries!! Now how to make them special.....Well this Spanish girl loves some flavor, so I decided to make some spicy sweet potato fries to snack on while I watched the game, and I had seen a recipe in SELF magazine which I follow almost exactly, except I had no jalepeno salt (see original recipe here: http://www.self.com/fooddiet/recipes/2013/11/spicy-jalapeno-sweet-potato-fries).

All the ingredients used are staples in my house, so it was simple and fast, and they turned out AMAZING!!!

Ingredients:
3 medium sized sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon of corn starch
ancho chile powder (to taste)
garlic powder (to taste)
olive oil (I used avocado infused olive oil from Di Olivas on Main Street St. Charles https://diolivas.com/)
1 sliced jalepeno pepper

Directions:
1. Cut three sweet potatoes into 1/4 in fries.
2. Combine in bowl the cornstarch, ancho chile powder, and garlic powder.
3. Toss the fries in the powder mix and place on a baking sheet lined with foil and coated with olive oil.
4. Bake for about 10 minutes.
5. Flip the fries, then splash on some more olive oil and sprinkle the jalepeno pepper over the fries.
6. Bake for an additional 8 minutes, or until the fries are at a consistency that you like.



Voila!

ENJOY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment